Thursday, August 20, 2015

Helping others with Growth Hormone Deficiency

Posting from "The Editor" (aka: Mom):

Below is an email I sent to a parent whose 3 sons, all age 13, will be starting growth hormone therapy.  I am so proud of Samantha's strength, courage, and interest to share her experience with others, and that in the process, she is positively impacting both children and adults.

********************************************
Dear *****,

I am so glad to hear that all 3 of your sons have been accepted to take growth hormone therapy and that Samantha's journey was helpful as you and your family made this decision. I wish I knew of someone who had a child who had gone through the process of testing and thereafter taking HGH when I was making this decision. Some of my friends told me that they felt I shouldn't allow Samantha to be on the medication, and that was extremely challenging for me to digest as I weighed our options.

Samantha started taking the medication about 7 weeks ago. In that time her body has already changed in size and structure. Not only has she grown, her body itself has changed shape. HGH will decrease body fat and increase muscle mass. Samantha had several of the traditional side-effects / symptoms of someone who suffers from growth hormone deficiency. It is amazing how quickly the medication can begin to work.

My understanding is that there are 4 pharmaceutical companies which provide HGH, Nutropin being one of them (that's what Samantha takes.) The difference I have been told about them is only the manner in which the medication is dispensed; the medication itself is the same (somatropin.)

Samantha's medication is in a "pen."  She dials on the left the dosage and the medicine is in the clear area on the right. She reuses the pen until there is no more medication in it. The needle is put on before each use and disposed of after she takes the shot. It is a "twist cap" needle and is easy to put on and take off. In just a few weeks of taking the medication it became a regular part of her routine. 

As always, I hope I can support you as you start this journey. It is one I personally feel is a life-changing experience for both the child and the parent in so many ways. Spencer (our almost 8-year old son) has become involved as well; he usually helps Samantha get her shot set up and is with her when she takes it. He has been so supportive.

My relationship with Samantha has changed since we have began this process. We have become closer than we already had been, and are learning together as a family. 

I look forward to hearing more about how your sons were approved as all I heard were stories of denial and appeals. It is good to know insurance and drug companies are approving children who indeed need this medication.

Samantha's blog, which she is trying to keep up writing on even with school starting, has several postings about the stages of when she began taking her shots. Maybe the posts will be helpful for you and/or your sons to read about her experience thus far.

It's nice to personally know of other children and families going through a similar experience. Samantha is always available to talk to your sons if they want to know more about her daily routine. 

2 comments:

  1. Samantha and Family-

    Samantha shared this blog with me today. I am so honored that she let me in to her life and trusted me with this information, and I am very proud of her for talking about it. I just wanted you guys to know that I am here for her at any time for anything, and that she does not have to feel alone in this process. Please Samantha come to my room any time and know that it is place that you can feel welcomed and never judged. And please let me know how these treatments go!

    Good luck on cheer try-outs. There are so many great things to do at our school, so I would love to see you try out for other things too. Like leadership, because YOU ARE A LEADER! Look at this blog! It is so amazing and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Baucom-Acker! I did not get on the cheer team, but guess what? There are so many other things I can do, like student council! I am very excited about being a leader and inspiring people though my blog from different places in the world. I already have some people reading my blog from Canada, Russia, England, and Australia. I had so much fun in class today, thank you!

      Delete