Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Helping a Girl with Down Syndrome at Camp

I go to a camp called "Art Camp."  One day when I was making a lanyard, all of a sudden a lady, about 35 years old, walked up to me and said "wow, I love the lanyard you are making, can you please teach me how to do it?"  I said "of course."  After I showed her how to make one, she said, "Come meet my friend Amanda." I asked how old Amanda was and she said she was 5.  She told me that Amanda has Down Sydrome and that she helps her.

In the camp there is an upper camp, teen camp, and a camp for younger children about Amanda's age. When I met Amanda, I noticed that she was small and had short blond hair and has blue eyes.  I said, "Hi Amanda, my name is Samantha."  She said, "Hi Samantha" in her own way. I thought it was spectacular that she has her own way of talking.  You may think that people who have Down Syndrome are scary, but today, I played with Amanda at snack time and recess.  We went on the monkey bars, the slides, and even the swings.  She even made me a picture. In my woodworking class, I made Amanda a bookmark with a picture of an owl with hearts and flowers on it.

Amanda is like me: she loves the monkey bars, we both love to hold hands, and we love music. I even taught her the word "sassy."  I think Amanda is a great person.  If you meet a person with Down Syndrome, remember, they are just like we are... all different.

No comments:

Post a Comment