Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Growth Hormone Deficiency Information (original posting July 7, 2015)

I am Samantha’s mother and I will be posting from time to time information which I have found to be helpful for myself as well as our family during the time we have learned about Growth Hormone Deficiency (GHD) and what, if anything, can be done to treat it.

I am not a doctor, nor am I involved in the medical field.  I am an active and involved parent in the growth and development of my husband’s and my daughter, who is 11 1/2 years old. None of the information in this blog is intended to be given as medical advice or recommendations.  Our intention is to make GHD a condition which more people learn about because it is hard for me to believe that one in 3,500 children suffer from this condition, and 80 percent of that number are classified as having idiopathic GHD.  What this means is that there is no identifiable cause for GHD in 80 percent of the people who suffer from it.  Children who are in less than the 3rd percentile in height for their age group, children who have a low growth velocity and whose who have a significant disparity between their projected height and their expected height are ones who are commonly referred to an endocrinologist for an evaluation. Samantha fits into all three categories; which is why she was tested extensively to determine whether she suffers from GHD, and her endocrinologist believes that she does.  Therefore, we began our road towards growth hormone therapy so that she may reach the height she should had she not suffered from this condition.

There is no guarantee that providing a person with growth hormone therapy will increase that person’s height. After thoroughly evaluating what height Samantha may reach without treatment vs. where she may reach with it was the reason why we spoke with Samantha about her options.  Samantha is her own biggest and insightful advocate. “I want to do it” she said immediately upon us inquiring.  There was no question in her mind that she would, not may, receive treatment.  Denying her treatment was simply not an option from the moment we entered the endocrinologist’s office for our first consultation. “Mommy, I want to be as tall as you” she says. I tell her often that it is not in her genetic make-up to be as tall as I am (at 5’7″); however we really don’t know how tall she will become.  This treatment is to maximize her potential and for her to be the height she is “supposed” to be, it is not for her to reach a specific height.

In future postings I will provide information from a parental perspective about how we were informed that Samantha may have GHD, what we did about it, and what testing Samantha has undergone to arrive at the place she is today.

Tonight Samantha administered her injection by herself in her abdomen, the area which is the easiest for people to inject themselves with medication.  Watching her take a needle and literally stab it in her stomach was nauseating.  In less than 10 seconds the pain for me was over.  Samantha did better than fine.  She was amazing and smiled afterwards and said “I did it!”  She gave me a hug and said “I love you Mommy.”  On day 5 of daily injections there is no doubt that she is more than serious about overcoming whatever obstacles are before her. She is the rainbow you see in the distance after a thunderstorm; for her smile fills up any gray sky.  Samantha is our angel on earth and I cannot imagine life without her.  She helps me leave behind my own “seriousness” and motivates me to take one day at a time.  Enjoy each and every moment, even the ones of struggle, for they shape us to become the parents and people we are today.

Thank you for taking the time to read our story.  Samantha LOVES reading messages from those who have visited her blog.  If you take the time to write a quick note you will be sure to receive one in return!

With much appreciation,

Samantha’s Loving (and way to Serious!) Mother

1 comment:

  1. HGH primarily tells our body what it has to do. It makes sure that our cells, bones and muscles carry on with regeneration at a good pace. When we are in our twenties, it still does the same job but a slower pace. desiring hypergh14x review

    ReplyDelete