Sunday, October 11, 2015

When Robert Came Over



When Robert Came Over

He walked through the front door with a blue hospital uniform, white shoes, and a scary bag in his hand.  I felt nauseous because today is my first day of taking growth hormone shots.  You might be wondering, “What in the world are you talking about?” Well, I am very short because my pituitary gland is not working properly.  My mom says it is asleep. I take shots every night so my pituitary gland will tell my bones to “wake up” and grow.  We are hoping that the medication I take is working so I will grow to a normal height.  Trust me, it is has been a really long process.
The reason Robert was at my house that night was to teach me how to take my growth hormone shots and not to be scared of the needles going into my body which have medicine in them. I did not know if the shots were going to hurt or if my mom would shove them in my body and I would bleed.  I did not want to take the shots but I knew I had to do it for my health. I have to admit I was a little scared but I have my family and friends to support me.
When we walked into the kitchen, Robert took out a big box out of his bag.  “This is where you store your needles” Robert said in a calm voice.  He had in his hand an oval pad with a skin-colored top that was squishy.  It looked weird and it was the size of my palm. Robert took out a blue pen. It was long and thin and it had medicine in a tube at the top of the pen.  Robert took out a needle and a white alcohol wipe. The wipe smelled so gross, it smelled like the doctor’s office.
              When Robert put the needle on the pen and I thought he was going to give me a shot so I screamed in fear.  He told me that the shot he had was just a tester and wanted me to try using it on the pad he had in his hand. I asked Robert that before I took my shot if I could try administering the first shot to my mom to test that it will be fine and I don’t have to be scared.  He said "Of course.”
              Once I gave my mom the first shot it was my turn. My hand was shivering and I had goose bumps all over me. I looked away for a second as my mom put the shot right in my arm.  Before I knew it the shot was done. I was so proud of myself; it was so easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment