Thursday, October 1, 2015

90 days and counting

I can't believe our daughter has undergone 90 days of growth hormone therapy. It seems like yesterday we were starting this process and at the same time it feels as if I have been watching Samantha take daily injections forever.

Samantha is writing in school a personal narrative and she has decided to write about the day she learned how to give herself her own injections. Samantha recounted the way the nurse walked into our house, what he was wearing, and what bag of "tricks" he brought with him. She described the smell of the alcohol wipes and how scared she was to begin this chapter of her life.

When I read what she wrote I relived that night in my mind as well. As a parent I had a different perspective, one which certainly had more fear than Samantha's experience - and that was quite comforting.

Samantha sees her glass as "half full". She realizes that not all people are dealt the same deck of cards, and that is actually a good thing. She knows that the reason why she is taking medication is not to be a specific height; it is to be the height she is supposed to be if her pituitary glad was functioning the way most other children's do at her age.

Samantha is simply "Samantha", and those who know her are aware of exactly what I mean. Her smile and enthusiasm light up a room, and her insight about what is important in life never ceases to amaze me.

My dear Samantha, I hope that this journey continues to be successful and one in which you grow, as you already have, in many ways. Xoxo Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment