Sunday, November 1, 2015

"Different" from the Group

A blog from Mom:

I learn so much about Samantha when she writes.  Thus far she has asked me to sit with her when she writes a blog, probably for moral support and to provide her feedback about the subject matter about which she has selected to write. Tonight she wrote about feeling like an outsider; and her blog tonight hit a part of my heart which now aches.

When I look back at the start of our experience, I recall simply looking straight ahead at what blood testing needed to be done, what bone-age scans I needed to schedule, which doctors were recommended in the field of endocrinology, and worrying about whether Samantha's insurance company would cover the enormous expense of growth hormone therapy (and if so, what my out-of-pocket expenses would be until her insurance would cover it.) I did not, or did not want to, think in great detail about the psychological effects undergoing growth hormone therapy would have upon my daughter.  Yes, there are physical and psychological effects upon a person who does not take growth hormone therapy, and there are also different yet critical effects in taking this treatment as well.  As we travel down this road, I learn more and more how Samantha is affected, both positively and how she struggles.

Samantha has a bright and shining personality who has a positive attitude and welcomes each and every day with a smile.  She isn't afraid to be "Samantha"; that is the only way I can describe her.  Those who know her well, both children and adults, I am confident would agree.

We all have times in our lives when we feel like outsiders. Samantha has had these same experiences before starting growth hormone therapy; what 11 year-old child hasn't.  Once she began her tests for growth hormone deficiency and her treatment, her sense of being different from everyone she knows was heightened.  Samantha rarely discusses it in a conversation; however, she does when she writes her blogs.

I am beyond thankful and impressed that Samantha has chosen to take what could be a negative experience and has made it one in which she is learning, growing, and helping other children and their families.

Dear Samantha,
We are here to support you as you fight the "good fight" every single day as you never, ever, give up on something which you feel is worthwhile.  Keep doing what you are doing with all the grace and personal style only you can give. I know you enjoy seeing that others have viewed your blogs, and they have in over ten different countries! Life is a marathon, not a sprint. Pace yourself.  Allow yourself to be disappointed and to have a "bad day."  In only 4 months you have already won this fight. You will reach your own stars.

Your dad, brother and I love you more than you know,
Mom xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Great job Mom! Samantha, You have an awesome support system. Your family loves you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Melissa! You are so sweet to write me a comment. How did you find out about my blog? I love when new people visit it and comment! Thank you for your support! - Seriously Samantha

    ReplyDelete